Monday, March 28, 2011

More antique quilts

I made it home from my daughter’s house in Tennessee before the spring snow hit. We only got about 1 1/2 inches of snow, just enough to make the woods pretty--and very wet. The view from my front porch this morning:


Happily, my daughter is doing much better and recovering slowly from her two bowel obstruction surgeries. While I was in Tennessee, I took two days off and drove north to Southern Illinois to see my mom and my sister. I found two small antique quilts, a double wedding ring and a Sunbonnet Sue, at a shop in Marion:



Both of these doll quilts look like they were made of leftovers from full-size projects. Neither is particularly well done, but they are interesting nevertheless, and I don’t own examples of either of these patterns in a small quilt.

Last week, Jenifer from Forty-Two Quilts posted a picture of one of my antique quilts. Click here to see it as well as other antique quilts: http://milo-designs.blogspot.com/2011/03/wednesday-quilt-show_23.html Thanks for showing us some beautiful quilts, Jenifer.

Nothing to do with quilts, but I also love to look for vintage Pyrex when I’m antiquing. On the same trip to Southern Illinois, I found a funky Pyrex-made Jim Beam bottle/coffee carafe. The description is posted on The Pyrex Collective.

4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your daughter is doing better. Sounds like she has had a rough time.

    What a lovely view you have from your porch!

    Looks like you found some treasures! The yellow on the double wedding ring is pretty.

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, LaDonna. Yes, the yellow on the double wedding ring is very pretty, but the workmanship on these two quilts isn't. Doll quilts are made for children to play with, from scraps, so the quiltmakers didn't put much time into them. The wedding ring has such big stitches that it looks like it could have been quilted by a child. For me, that only adds to the charm, if not the value, of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good installment, Cindy. The photo of your snowy front yard made me homesick. Even though you don't want to damage the paper labels on your Jim Beam carafe, I think you should use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snow melted yesterday afternoon. I hope the tree buds weren't damaged. I woke up this morning to see a squirrel hanging on to a tree branch for dear life, stripping tiny leaves off and eating them. It's a wonder we still have leaves, between the snow and the squirrels.

    ReplyDelete